Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Saima Wahab

"Instead of being angry at their implications that I was a woman of low morals who could not be trusted with freedoms, I decided that I would make it one of my life’s goals … to show them that I was capable of more than they had ever allowed me to envision for my future…little did I know … I was embarking on a journey … so far removed from the fate any Pashtun woman is born into.”


excerpt "In My Father's Country: An Afghan Woman Defies Her Fate"
born in Afghanistan; then a Pakistan refugee who moved to the US as a teenager;
one of the only Pashtun female translators in the world; returned to Afghanistan
several times to work as a cultural adviser with the U.S. Army. 

2 comments:

Sally B said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sally B said...

I always find it remarkable, these conscious early decisions that people make to not succumb to what's being handed to them, but to consciously defy odds.